About the Designer
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
Germany (1866 - 1969)
Ludwig Mies van der Rohe began his career working in his father's stonemasonry business. After an apprenticeship with furniture designer Bruno Paul in Berlin, he joined the office of architect Peter Behrens, whose work presaged the modern movement. In 1912, Mies established his own office in Berlin, and later became a member of the Deutscher Werkbund and Director of the Bauhaus. He immigrated to the United States in 1938, setting up a practice in Chicago. His buildings include the German Pavilion for the 1929 Barcelona Exposition, the Tugendhat Villa in Brno, Czechoslovakia, the Seagram Building, designed with Philip Johnson, a cluster of residential towers along Chicago's Lakeshore Drive in Chicago, and the Illinois Institute of Technology campus, where he was the director of architecture.
''Form is not the aim of our work. It is the result,'' wrote Ludwig Mies van der Rohe. Mies van der Rohe adhered to the philosophy of ''no trivial decoration,'' where every piece had a clear function--no unnecessary frills. The formal and functional MR Table reflects this pure and simple design concept. The Design The MR Table displays the pure compositional structure that epitomizes modern architecture. Displaying an impressive awareness of proportion, detailing and craftsmanship, as well as a richness and integrity of materials, the MR Table is a true classic. Incorporating tubular and rectangular steel, the MR Table is both formal and functional, stylish and simple. Both beautiful and elegant, the MR Table is the ultimate statement in modern design. Honored with The Museum of Modern Art Award in 1977 and the Design Center Stuttgart Award in 1978, each table features the KnollStudio logo and signature of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe stamped in the base. In addition, the MR Table is GREENGUARD Indoor Air Quality Certified . *This product is made to order and thus customer orders cannot be canceled once the products go into production
- Top made of 1/2''-thick clear polished plate glass
- Frame and legs are tubular and rectangular stainless steel welded together
- The KnollStudio logo and signature of designer are stamped into the base of the table
- The Museum of Modern Art Award, 1977
- Design Center Stuttgart Award, 1978
- Sustainability Statement: Sustainable design is a key component of Knoll's environmental focus. Knoll's commitment to social responsibility and a healthy environment has prompted the company to further articulate its longstanding environmental programs and, with encouragement and support from colleagues in the industry, Knoll has re-energized its focus on such ''green'' initiatives as life cycle analysis and LEED certification. Knoll is proud to have contributed to projects that have received LEED certification from the U.S. Green Building Council.
- The MR Table is Greenguard certified
- Should you discover shortly after receiving your MR Table that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost. .
- Order with Confidence:Each authentic Knoll product is stamped with the KnollStudio Logo and designer signature and includes a certificate of authenticity
- Features at a Glance: Design Year: 1927Base features seamless construction buffed to a mirror finish
- Knoll products are guaranteed to be free from defects in materials and workmanship during the applicable warranty period set forth in the Knoll Warranty.