About the DesignerAdrian Van Hooydonk
Netherlands (1964 - )
Emeco planned a re-issue of an old chair from 1951, but we quickly agreed that Emeco should create a version of '1951' that retained Emeco's DNA, yet looked forward, Gregg instinctively knows what is good for Emeco and we agreed that the modernization of the original chair would be 100 % Classic Emeco - simple, utilitarian and masculine. Lines and surfaces were discussed at length, as well as the ""Stance"" of the new '1951', which is a lot more dynamic than the original. The design phase that followed was one of the most collaborative and rewarding experiences of my life. I had dealt with similar issues designing modern cars for the Mini and BMW brands, and I have incorporated these ideas. '1951' is the first Emeco product that combines new materials for the seat and back - technically moulded ABS plastic, with classic aluminium construction. This will allow customers to add colour and simplifies manufacturing - reducing cost. As in good car-design, these added functional elements create a clean, simple and dynamic look that will appeal to costumers on an emotional level while projecting strength.
Emeco chairs began in 1944 with a collaboration between Emeco and ALCOA to develop a seaworthy chair for military use. ALCOA's scientists and Navy engineers consulted with Emeco to produce the Navy Chair in Emeco's Hanover, PA workshops where all of their chair collections are still made today. Built individually by a handful of craftsmen, 77 painstaking steps at a time. Designed by BMW Group, DesignworksUSA, in 2005 under the direction of Adrian van Hooydonk, this chair is an update of an original Emeco chair made for Navy hospitals from 1951. These chairs have durable ABS or laminate seats and backs in five colors or three wood tones and a brushed/anodized frame that stacks six high. White and gray ABS chairs are also approved for outdoor use, while the black ABS can also be made fire retardant in compliance with CAL. 133 Code. Design Features:
- Hand-crafted using signature 77-step process
- Built on the vision of sculptured masterworks: One piece construction without connections
- Soft aluminum provides total comfort and smooth bends without distortion
- Proprietary thermal treatment makes lightweight products three times stronger than steel
- Hand-brushed finish improves with age and resists rust
- Non-absorbing and sanitary: resists bacteria, mildew, stains and odor
- Eco-friendly: uses recycled materials and is itself recyclable
- Suitable for institutional or home use
- Stays cool to the touch even in hot sun
- Stackable (up to 6 high)
- Brushed aluminum and white/gray ABS approved for outdoor use
- Three types of wood laminate
- Made in the USA
Order with Confidence:
- 30.25" H x 18.5" W x 20.25" D
- Seat height: 18"
- Emeco putsenvironmental safetyat the forefront of design. Between 75% and 80% of the aluminum used in Emeco products is recycled and the estimated lifespan of most Emeco chairs is 150 years or more.
- The 1951 Collection is backed by a 7-yearwarranty.These chairs and stools are warranted to be free from defects in materials and workmanship under normal use and conditions.
- Should you discover shortly after receiving your Emeco product that parts are either damaged or missing, please call us immediately, and we will be happy to send you replacement parts as soon as possible and at no additional cost.
Ships via FedEx/UPS
back to top
|Hooydonk Classroom Stacking Chair
||30.25" H x 18.5" W x 20.25" D
|Product Category:||Dining Chairs|
We're sorry, we have no FAQs to display.
back to top